[Jamie's Innerworkings] "Slightly Bored and Severely Confused"

Thursday, August 17, 2006

The superficial and then the honest

Alright, the superficial is really just another office pet peeve. I work in a real estate office, and it annoys me so much when this happens:
*phone rings*
me: Good afternoon/morning/evening company name, Jamie speaking how may I help you
person: gives a property address
me: yes
person: gives a property address again
me: what about that property
person: *huffs* appointment
me: *swears in my mind* last name please

Gah, how about you tell me "I'd like to book an appointment on.... "

Dumbasses, the whole lot of them. Take that generalizations!










For anyone who knows me, even remotely. Knows that I've been avoiding community like its the fucking plague. No church, no small group, no talking about faith (really) with friends, nothing... nada... nit... newt.

Instead I drink (a lot), and hang out with guys (you can interpret hang out however you please). And as much as I know the what I should be feeling in the "well I'm a Christian", I don't feel it. I know what I should be feeling, on a cognitive level it doesn't resonate with my soul though.

Two weeks ago, I decided to maybe start hitting the church scene again. And maybe take advantage of making it to my small group before I can't go anymore.

But, me, my actions are still... so... contrived. And it makes me want to run away all over again.

Someone, when they asked about what I was up to and I was honest, asked me if I believed in the Bible. Like that is the simple be all and end all answer. Instead, it just made me feel that much worse.

Because everytime I think about faith, and my lack of understanding. I think of Anya from Buffy on death with this quote:

But I don't understand! I don't understand how this all happens. How we go through this. I mean, I knew her, and then she's, there's just a body, and I don't understand why she just can't get back in it and not be dead anymore! It's stupid! It's mortal and stupid! And, and Xander's crying and not talking, and, and I was having fruit punch, and I thought, well Joyce will never have any more fruit punch, ever, and she'll never have eggs, or yawn or brush her hair, not ever, and no one will explain to me why.


I've never understood faith, bible college illuminated that for me. And as much as I know that He loves in the smallest bits of obediences. I hate contrivity.

But I also don't know how to give up.

Blah.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:43 PM, Blogger ButterPeanut said…

    Maybe if you explained to those of us who belong to the contrived community what it is that pisses you off and what makes it feel contrived, instead of just making us feel hated?

    Yeah, community IS contrived, because it is made of people, and people are fundamentally selfish and dumb. That's how it is, but good stuff is born out of it. Is hanging out with dumbass guys better?

     
  • At 6:59 PM, Blogger Jamie said…

    Maybe I fail in the knowing the proper definition/usage of the word "contrived", but it wasn't meant to say that other people were. I was trying to saying I was... my actions are contrived.

    I'm sorry if you guys feel hated, thats not my intention.

     
  • At 1:33 PM, Blogger /dr. said…

    i hardly understand faith, the bible freaks me out big time and i've had awful exerpiances with the church. being bitter is easy. giving up would be easier. but you and i both know it's the worst option.

    i'm not going write this comment as a debate because you already know what's wrong and what's right.

    these people you're avoiding—your living room. they love you. so stop running from them.

    /dr.

     
  • At 3:25 PM, Blogger defrex said…

    There probably isn't much to add here, except that you should turn on your rss feed in your blogger setting and post a link to it...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home