[Jamie's Innerworkings] "Slightly Bored and Severely Confused"

Friday, March 09, 2007

"Clang clang rattle bing bang gonna make my noise all day..."

No ... you're not! (in the style of Teen Girl Squad)

Confused? Let me explain.

The woman in the apartment below mine is ridicilious, she plays her music at such a volume that it is louder in MY apartment, than the volume at which I play my own music at.

On average I'm woken up 3 mornings a week by her music (she starts playing it at about 11am, I don't have to be up till noon). And its been like that for a year.

Recently, I've gotten fed up and decided to do a little searching and figure out if there was something I could do to make it stop. So I emailed the city about noise by laws and part of the response I got was as follows:

The first step you should take is to approach the property manager
again and explain your concerns. Show him/her a copy of this e-mail or a
copy of the Noise Bylaw as well. Explain that if no action is taken by
them, you will be asking the City to enforce the Noise Bylaw.

You can find a copy of the City of Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 591,
Noise on our Web site at
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/municode/1184_591.pdf

The Noise Chapter is broken up into four main parts as follows:
1. General Prohibition
"No person shall make, cause or permit noise or vibration, at any time,
which is likely to disturb the quiet, peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort or
convenience of the inhabitants of the City."

This general prohibition applies in your case.


So with this knowledge in hand, the next time I was woken up I went down to her apartment, knocked for two minutes (when the song ended she was able to hear me) and just politely (yes ... politely, I know you may doubt it, but I was nice) explained that her music wakes me up as it is very loud in my bedroom and if she could turn it down some. She did, but I could still hear it in my apartment but not well enough to sing along to it anymore.

I was doing alright, it wasn't that bad. Then Monday happened. I was woken up at 9:25 IN THE MORNING to "you're beautiful ... you're beautiful its true" blaring in my apartment. I put on my housecoat and went straight to my supers and told them they had to go do something about it.

But, I've had enough ... I gave my supers a letter yesterday saying that if it happened again, noise complaints were going to start happening and complaints to the property management. And lucky me, I just happen to be friendly with a police man :)

1 Comments:

  • At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Having been on the opposite end of this.. the one receiving the complaints because we are too loud, I don't like this information. However, if someone ever woke me up with THAT song, they'd be done for.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home